Non DFSG-free files and git.debian.org (Was: Maintaining yorick in Vcs at debian.org)

Hi,

Le 17/06/12 00:07, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 04:14:07PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>>
>>  - Yorick is only distributed from github (no distinct tarballs, just
>>    git tags). It has to be repackaged to meet the DFSG. What I was
>>    experimenting with on github is:
>>      - one branch mirroring upstream (contains non-DFSG-free material);
>>      - one branch for the DFSG free source;
>>      - one branch for the Debian packaging.
>>    Is that a reasonable approach for Alioth or should the non-DFSG-free
>>    files never enter the debian.org domain?
>
> I have no experience with github at all.  If there is no release tarball
> I usually create a script debian/get-orig-source and add this to
> debian/watch (I guess it is somehow possible to parse the web interface
> from github for new tags) and also call it in debian/rules target
> get-orig-source.

The question at hand is rather: should I make every effort to avoid
importing those non-DFSG-free files from the debian.org domain, or is it
OK to have them on git as basically a working area?

It's certainly safest to just import de repacked tarball, but its
technically superior to clone the upstream "non-free" repository. I
don't see any intermediate solution whihc would retain most of
upstream's history without introducing the incriminated files in the
repository. I wonder whether I could get something sensible by rebasing
my DFSG branch on the initial clean-up and pushing only that branch to
git.debian.org. (By sensible I mean I would like to be able to merge
upstream commits without re-introducing the non-DFSG files).

Does anybody from science have any suggestion/experience on that matter?

Regards, Thibaut.