Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 02:59:55PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> consider this email to be an official positive feedback -- I liked
> it! ;-)  I just haven't had a chance to give it a try (e.g. try to
> compile a pdf with bibitem pointing to each one of those... which might
> be a nice test overall during export to spot incorrect entries to avoid
> future problems at "user" side)

Sounds like a good idea.  It should not be to hard to generate a *.tex
file in the same process which generates the bibtex file.

> > be really about patches.  My current approach would be to do some very
> > basic check like:  If the authors string has more than 5 spaces but does
> > not contain some 'and' inbetween this looks suspicious.
> > But what we need more urgently is some specification what we really want
> > before we go on writing such checks!
>
> so why just not to make it to be in a bibtex format at once?

Because nobody did it.  My approach was to adopt a method that exists.

> NB sorry if it feels that we are running in circles ;)

Yep.  Perhaps the problem is that we do have to few runners joining the
race.

> > authors syntax.  My current reason to show the chance for getting a
> > BibTeX file was only to give more people a motivation to add
> > debian/upstream files to their packages - we now have two use cases
> > (web sentinel + BibTeX).
>
> I am motivated and will start composing them for mine whenever I upload
> any new revision.

Great.