Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:55:53PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> >     http://blends.debian.net/packages-metadata/debian.bib
>
> quite rich already -- cool! ;)
>
> just to clarify, this debian.bib has nothing to do with
> http://wiki.debian.org/CategoryPublication
> right? ;-)

Right, definitely!  I simply occupied this thread beeing lazy enough to
seek for the proper thread.

> as for author's field, I guess there is no other (reliable) way but to
> simply follow Bibtex format in debian/upstream, and use 'and' as a
> separator?

I guess it might be possible to try some regexp magic to get 90% fit for
BibTeX.  Is long as I do not recieve any positive feedback about the
BibTeX file itself or whether we rather use the information in another
way I do not feel very motivated to try and test this magic even if I'd
be really about patches.  My current approach would be to do some very
basic check like:  If the authors string has more than 5 spaces but does
not contain some 'and' inbetween this looks suspicious.

But what we need more urgently is some specification what we really want
before we go on writing such checks!

I noticed that seeking for problems in debian/upstream files frequently
uncovers other problems in the according packages.  So my
debian/upstream QA effort of last month made me enhancing "random
packages" - so I keep on doing this and will consider valid BibTeX
authors syntax.  My current reason to show the chance for getting a
BibTeX file was only to give more people a motivation to add
debian/upstream files to their packages - we now have two use cases
(web sentinel + BibTeX).