Re: abinit

Am Samstag, den 19.05.2012, 15:21 +0000 schrieb Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:48:30PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > I still think it makes sense to upload the latest version of abinit
> > before all (new) optional dependencies have been packaged, as there is
> > no guarantee this will happen before the freeze.
>
> Ok, I have uploaded version 6.12.3 to mentors,

The bad news: it doesn't build in a clean CHROOT:

> === configuring in fallbacks (/tmp/buildd/abinit-6.12.3/fallbacks)
> [..]
> checking whether to enable the LINALG fallback... no
> checking whether to enable the FOX fallback... no
> checking whether to enable the NETCDF fallback... yes
> checking for a source tarball of NETCDF... no
> configure: downloading NETCDF - this may take a while
> ./configure: line 5648: /tmp/buildd/.abinit/tarballs/netcdf-4.1.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory
> configure: downloading NETCDF - this may take a while
> ./configure: line 5648: /tmp/buildd/.abinit/tarballs/netcdf-4.1.1.tar.gz: No such file or directory
> configure: error: could not download NETCDF fallback tarball
>     Disable support for NETCDF or download the tarball manually to
>     /tmp/buildd/.abinit/tarballs
> configure: error: ./configure failed for fallbacks
> make: *** [config.status] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
> E: Failed autobuilding of package

Must be fixed before an upload.

> I dont know how to fix
> the remaining lintian warnings

I recommend to add -i to your lintian options (e.g. put "info = 1"
in .lintianrc). Most of the issues are self-explaining.

> or why the watch file doesn't work for
> mentors, it works for me.
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/abinit

I would like to give you some hints:

- in general: packaging can IMHO be made easier and shorter if you use
debhelper 7

- debian/dirs: please remove the debian/dirs file, it is useless and
leads to the package-contains-empty-directory warning; you usually only
need dh_installdirs to create directories if you use cp or mv in
debian/rules or if you *really* intend to ship an empty direcory (e.g.
like base-files)

- debian/docs: I suggest to not install README.Changelog. It does not
contain useful information for the user. The file NEWS could be
installed as upstream changelog via dh_installchangelogs instead of the
almost empty and useless file ChangeLog

- debian/copyright needs an update - it contains items, which are not
longer valid and I guess, copyrights etc. need to be updated too!; about
the lintian warnings:

copyright-with-old-dh-make-debian-copyright: Fix the last sentence and
add `Copyright ' in from of the (C).
copyright-refers-to-symlink-license: The license wording is like "GPL 2
or higher" but the file hint in debian/copyright points
to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL which currently is a symlink to GPL 3
- you should explicitly use the file GPL-2 here

The duplicate-files tag is a pedantic one and can be ignored IMO.

IMO the package as is is not yet ready for an upload.

HTH and regards, Daniel