About PALP

Tim Abbott doesn't have the time to care about the palp package
anymore, and I was thinking I might help with it (I already discussed
it with him privately after I reported
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=672785 ).

I already repackaged it, but would like to wait a little before
publishing the result : upstream binaries have strange names (class.x,
nef.x, etc), and I wrote them to try to get them renamed.

This demand isn't unreasonable ; here is a part of the mail I sent
upstream :
Distributions will react differently to those names, and that is
annoying, since they will end up with different correcting schemes ; for
example we already have :

- no renaming in gentoo : http://gpo.zugaina.org/sci-mathematics/palp/ ;

- an added 'palp-' prefix, keeping the '.x' in fedora :

- the current debian package doesn't rename, but half hides them in a
  palp/ directory!

Would it be possible to rename them in the next version (for example
with a 'palp_' prefix and no '.x' suffix)? That way all distributions
would follow your lead and the commands would have the same
names everywhere.

If upstream pushes out a new version with a better naming scheme, I'll
package that. If they don't want to, then I don't know : either I'll
follow fedora's lib to reduce discrepancies, or I'll rename like I

Hope that helps,

Snark on #debian-science