Re: ITP: sumo -- Simulation of Urban MObility

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 09:24:32PM +0200, Anton Gladky wrote:

> > Task: Simulations
> > # IMHO the "Scientific" is redundant
> >  This metapackage will install Debian Science packages that are
> >  used to do simulations in different fields of science.
> >
> > Depends: sumo
> >
> > Depends: esys-particle, lammps, liggghts, yade
> >

> That's perfect!

OK.

> > The other question is whether
> > the packages  esys-particle, lammps, liggghts and yade are actually
> > "wrong" in "Numerical computation" or whether they could be put into
> > both tasks.
>
> I think we should avoid duplication of packages in different tasks.

This is no reasonable goal.  We discussed this several times here: Tasks
are not exclusive categories.  You can use the same package under very
different circumstances.  A very simple example is that octave is part
of the tasks: mathematics, numericalcomputation and robotics.  From a
users point of view it makes no sense at all if we hide interesting
packages from the task / metapackage for the work he wants to do just
because the package is also reasonable in another task.

> Bu it can be reasonable to add "simulation-task" into depends of
> "Numerical computation". Because from my point of view "simulations"
> are kind of "numerical computations". What do you think?

Sounds reasonable and works from a metapackage point of view.  We are
doing something like this in task biology depending from med-bio and
med-bio-dev.  Unfortunately I did not yet wrote the code to "resolve"
this dependency in the tasks pages which IMHO would make sense.

Any other opinions?

> morse-simulator should be a proper candidate to be added to "Simulators".

Thanks for your input