Re: BibTeX help needed (Was: You can now check BibTeX file obtained from debian/upstream files)

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 11:21:23AM -0400, Brendon Higgins wrote:

> The problem is the .bib file is wrong. All its entries are doubly-quoted, using
> both quotation marks (") and braces. It should only be one of either, not
> both.

Well, my motivation was to make sure the title will be printed verbosely
which TTBOMK can be ensured by either enclosing it in {{}} or "{}".  For
some reason I decided for the latter and I also out of some crazy idea
decided to do this for all other values which as you suspected is
creating the problem.

> Because of the double-quotation, BibTex parses those entries not as a
> set of first and last names but as one single (long) name. Remove the quote
> characters surrounding the authors field (and the other fields, too - as far as
> I can tell, they are all redundant at least, and problematic at worst) and it
> ought to work.

Yes, it does (modulo the lot of broken author entries which are now
uncovered - but finally this was the sense of this exercise.)

> Here's another description of the BibTex format I might suggest reading:
> http://maverick.inria.fr/Membres/Xavier.Decoret/resources/xdkbibtex/bibtex_summary.html

Thanks - this is interesting.  I will adapt the importer and the data
files.