Re: Debian at ESRF

On 04/18/2012 10:14 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:39:30AM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>>> Following Yaroslav's message, I would like to advertize the migration
>>> of the European Synchrotoron (http://www.esrf.eu) at Grenoble to
>>> Debian6; succeeding to RedHat4 and Centos5. For the moment, the
>>> migration is ongoing: only the computer controlling the particle
>>> accelerator, a few data analysis servers and part of the computing
>>> cluster has been migrated but most of the computing infrastructure
>>> will migrate this year.
>> Bravo!
> Bravissimo!
<praise /> Beyond that Debian employment thingy, what is more to stress
is the circle with the community. You administrative and scientific
Debian full-timers can fall back to the Debian infrastructure for
package management, inter-institutional communication/collaboration ...
and extend that for your own benefit.

What I have not seen discussed much, yet, is the cross-architectural
benefit for monitoring of scientific (or any) processes. You easily get
whatever you need for some interactive low-bandwith communication on
your ARM-run mobile.

>>> ESRF aims at organizing a workshop around debian, introducing the new
>>> operating system for the scientists and explain to IT staff how to
>>> distribute and backport software. We would like to invite some
>>> representatives of Debian-science to join this workshop. For the moment,
>>> neither the date neither the program is fixed. We should have some
>>> budget for travel reimbursement.
>> Depending on the date, I would interested to come!
> I presume the way you are doing it is the only way that I presume the way you are doing it is the only way that
> Same for me.
Here, too. The Debian Med sprints are less sprints of Debian-insiders
than mini-conferences/workshops of Science-insiders with some affinity
to us or already contributing. We asked delegates from various upstream
groups, and colleagues from Ubuntu / Bio-Linux to come and learn / think
about how to contribute. And they came on their own expense.
> I'd volunteer to give talk (did so in the past several
> times, last slides are here[1]) or a Debian packaging introduction
> workshop - whatever you are interested in.  May be we could widen the
> MoM[2] effort also to Debian Science.
Yes, this is a good idea. A perpetual season of code across all
disciplines of science.

Steffen