Re: how to debug debuild process

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 03:38:42PM +0200, Michael Olberg wrote:
> I have recently run into an interesting problem with one of the software
> packages, where I can run the individual steps to generate the package
> successfully, but where the use of dpkg-buildpackage fails. In other
> words, all of
>
> $ fakeroot debian/rules clean
> $ fakeroot debian/rules build
> $ fakeroot debian/rules binary
>
> will work (and in fact eventually produce a valid deb-file), but
>
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
>
> will fail with a weird compile error somewhere in the middle of the
> build process. It appears as if dpkg-buildpackage after all is not
> simply the sequence of commands that the man-page will make us believe?

One issue you could run to is that dpkg-buildpackage (at least the
version in squeeze, the latest upload has reverted this) exports a set
of CFLAGS etc.

If your software overloads CFLAGS for required flags or just doesn't
compile with the default CFLAGS ("-g -O2 -Wall" I believe), this could
be the problem.

Michael