how to debug debuild process

Dear list,

Every now and then I package data reduction software for the convenience
of my colleagues at the radio astronomical observatory where I work. The
software is typically written by ourselves or by colleagues at similar
places elsewhere in Europe and freely distributed as source tar-balls.

I have recently run into an interesting problem with one of the software
packages, where I can run the individual steps to generate the package
successfully, but where the use of dpkg-buildpackage fails. In other
words, all of

$ fakeroot debian/rules clean
$ fakeroot debian/rules build
$ fakeroot debian/rules binary

will work (and in fact eventually produce a valid deb-file), but

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

will fail with a weird compile error somewhere in the middle of the
build process. It appears as if dpkg-buildpackage after all is not
simply the sequence of commands that the man-page will make us believe?

How could I debug this process? It's really mostly curiosity that drives
me right now, because I can build the package step by step as described
above.

cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Olberg                           <michael.olberg@chalmers.se>
Onsala Space Observatory                       tel: +46-(0)31-7725507