Re: deal.ii 7.0.0

Hi Nuno et al.,

I finally found the time to work out how to deal with this giant package
which breaks git-import-orig...  So I've been able to do some work on
this (more inline below).

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 18:35 -0400, Nuno Sucena Almeida wrote:

> On 07/29/2011 08:30 AM, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Dear Nuno,
> >
> > A git format patch set would make my life a *lot* easier.  But it will
> > be enormous given the size of the repository.  Can you post it somewhere
> > on the web for me to download?
>
> Hi Adam,Christophe,
>
> 	You can access it at the following urls:
>
> 	git format patch files:
> http://slug.aeminium.org/software/gfp-deal.ii-7.0.0-slug.tar.xz (5.2M)
> http://slug.aeminium.org/software/gfp-deal.ii-7.0.0-slug.tar.xz.asc

Thanks.  I used this patch set because it's more complete than
Christophe's -- includes patch forward-porting, other updated files,
even satisfying lintian and making the tests work (though I haven't
gotten quite that far yet).

The result is up on alioth now.  I'm going to build it tonight and test
it over the weekend (it takes too much memory for too long to interrupt
my day for it).

> 	Let me know how/if you need the format patch in a different way. This
> is my first debian package contribution, so please make sure I'm not
> messing something up :)

No, you did a good job with it.

> 	One thing to note is that I added a new patch (doc.patch) that fixes a
> bug with a plain.cc tutorial script generator, solved upstream on the
> trunk branch.

Thanks, saw that, now re-reading your explanation I understand it.

> 	In the meanwhile, can you advise on the following: some of the deal.ii
> functionality which I use, and needed by some of the examples, in
> particular MPI petsc/slepc library support, require disabling threading
> ( ./configure --disable-threads).
>
> 	On the other hand some other use cases and examples need thread
> enabled when running on shared memory machines, which I also use.
>
> 	So my question is what would be the best approach on building
> thread/non-thread packages for deal.ii ? The libboost package does
> something similar (libboost , libboost-thread )

I see, that's a problem.  What does upstream say about the conflict?

> 	I subscribed to the debian-science mailing list, do you want to move
> this discussion over there?

Actually, that's a good idea.  Taking it there now.  Anyone else with
feedback on the package?

Thanks again,
Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/