Re: Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:15:13AM +0200, Manuel Prinz wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, den 08.06.2011, 10:06 +0200 schrieb Sylvestre Ledru:
>> > == Proposal ==
>> >
>> > I would like to propose the following:
>> > * move all packaging related discussions to
>> > debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
>> > * use debian-science@lists.debian.org only for user oriented discussions
>> > * make sure that all the commit mails are sent on
>> > debian-science-maintainers-commits@lists.alioth.debian.org
>> >
>> > Any comments / opinions ?
>>
>> AFAIR, this was supposed to be the status quo, but as you say, it isn't.
>
> It probably is not because there are no real means to enforce this.
>
> I personally can perfectly live with the current status because I'm
> reading both lists anyway.  I'd suggest that people who feel really
> bored just try to educate those people who are not following the
> original suggestion (=your proposal).  As long as these people don't
> feel bored enough to do something I would just leave it as is.

I believe I'm one of the guilty parties, mainly  because I wasn't
clear on the intents of the list. I though -maintainer was for bug
mails, -commits were for VCS commits, and -science was for both user
and packaging discussion. I can't really find a clear description of
what discussions should go on where on the wikis:

from [1]:
"Get involved: {*} Join debian-science mailing list, work on the wiki
pages, report about interesting scientific free sofware (fill RFP)."
with no reference to the other lists

but from [2]:
"How to join:
-Debian Science has a mailing list debian-science. And if you wonder
why the mailing-list reply-to is set to the author instead of the list
itself, read this.
-The packaging team has also two mailing lists available on Alioth:
debian-science-maintainers & debian-science-commits"

Since debian-science showed up twice, I believed it to be the "main"
list while the other two lists were tools for following bug-mails or
commits

but follow up with [3] finds:
"debian-science-commits
 Commit messages of packages maintained by Debian Science
debian-science-maintainers Archives
 Mailing list for maintainer discussions and BTS messages"

If we make the wiki clearer, I think Sylvestre's proposal should
already be the status quo. Is that correct?
~Scott
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianScience
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience
[3] https://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=100159