Re: issues with pdflatex and font creation in scientific software ?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Christophe Prud'homme
<prudhomm@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> for some time now I have my package Feel++(a library and language for
> pde solving) that has issues on some platforms with (pdf)latex and the
> generation of fonts
>
> I get this message while building the documentation of the software
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 ecss0900
> mkdir: cannot create directory `././.texmf-var': Permission denied
> mktexpk: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexdir
> /.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec failed.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>
> !pdfTeX error: /usr/bin/pdflatex (file ecss0900): Font ecss0900 at 600 not foun
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> anyone having similar issues ?
> any ideas ?

OK -- in the upstream sources, feel-manual.tex has:

\documentclass[a4paper]{book}
%\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{a4wide}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
%%\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage{longtable}

The line "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}" normally gets the "ec" fonts,
which are metfont fonts that extend the Computer Modern fonts by
adding glyphs.  Now we have "lmodern" outline fonts,
so

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\documentclass[a4paper]{book}
%\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{a4wide}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
%%\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage{longtable}

Try inserting the following lines after the "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"

\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{lmodern}

I tried this with pdflatex from TL2010.  I had to remove pgfmath from
the \usepackage list as it
is loaded by pgf, but end up with a .pdf file that uses only Type 1
outline fonts.