Re: issues with pdflatex and font creation in scientific software ?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Christophe Prud'homme
<prudhomm@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> for some time now I have my package Feel++(a library and language for
> pde solving) that has issues on some platforms with (pdf)latex and the
> generation of fonts
>
> I get this message while building the documentation of the software
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 ecss0900
> mkdir: cannot create directory `././.texmf-var': Permission denied
> mktexpk: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexdir
> /.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec failed.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>
> !pdfTeX error: /usr/bin/pdflatex (file ecss0900): Font ecss0900 at 600 not foun
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> anyone having similar issues ?
> any ideas ?

There are other packages that use LaTeX to format documentation
but rely on outline fonts (PS Type 1, ttf, or otf) so the permission
problem doesn't arise.  Do you really need to use pk (bitmapped)
fonts?   If you format the document on a current TeXLive, what fonts
does it use?

Do you rely on some rarely used symbols?

> on amd64 and i386 flavors no problems but on the other ones I got these failures
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=feel%2b%2b

What fonts are used on the systems where the build succeeds?   This
should be mentioned
in the logs or can be determined by examining the formatted documents.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia