From: Juergen Salk <juergen.salk@gmx.de>
To: Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de>
Cc: debian-science@lists.debian.org
Sent: Sun, March 6, 2011 12:34:33 AM
Subject: Re: Debian and Scientific Linux (was: Removal requests submitted for CERNLIB packages)

* Juergen Salk <juergen.salk@gmx.de> [110305 15:46]:

> > That they have Scientific Linux and are Open Source already
> > is per se already quite remarkable.

> [...] The main goal of Scientific Linux is *not* to be as
> scientific as possible, e.g. in terms of the number of
> scientific software packages included in the distribution. (As
> a matter of fact, Debian comes with much, much more scientific
> software packages than SL does).

Just as an addendum in case someone is interested. This is a complete (!)
list of scientific packages that come with Scientific Linux 6:

jsalk@wattwurm:~> cat /etc/redhat-release
Scientific Linux release 6.0 (Carbon)
jsalk@wattwurm:~> yum groupinfo 'Scientific support'
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Group Process

Group: Scientific support
Default Packages:
  gnuplot
  units
Optional Packages:
  atlas
  lapack
  mpich2
  mpitests-mvapich
  mpitests-mvapich2
  mpitests-openmpi
  mvapich
  mvapich2
  numpy
  openmpi
jsalk@wattwurm:~>

That's it. It's simply what comes with RHEL6 anyway. They don't even
have R in SL6 any more. So it is really a myth that Scientific Linux
provides much extras for scientists. It's simply not their goal. It's
all about compatibility with RHEL which makes SL so attractive as a
common platform for huge computing environments.

Best regards,

Juergen

--
GPG A997BA7A | 87FC DA31 5F00 C885 0DC3  E28F BD0D 4B33 A997 BA7A