Re: how to deal with bibtex with long fields

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:39:51 -0400, ucko@debian.org (Aaron M. Ucko) wrote:
> Jameson Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> writes:
>
> > Hey, Jim.  Yeah, I did see that but yikes!  I should have put that on my
> > list of "unacceptable solutions"!  Someone else suggested this might be
> > the only solution, but they thought it might also require rebuilding all
> > of tex as well.  Not something I have any intention of doing.
>
> Take a closer look; the the FAQ also mentions the possibility of
> running bibtex8, which Debian ships (right in texlive-binaries).  It
> appears to be only optionally encoding-aware, so you may be able to
> dodge that issue while still requesting capacity increases with -B,
> -H, -W, or individual --m* flags.

I tried bibtex8, with all the various HUGE settings and -m* ## lengths
maxed out but with no luck.

I did manage to figure out why pybtex was failing, though. It turns out
that it fails if it can't find a citation in the bibtex.  This is
another failure that breaks "drop in compatibility".

However, after fixing all my citations pybtex *still* fails to compile.
This time it just gets stuck and never returns, while consuming most of
my cpu.

sigh.  Why are these bibtex tools so flaky?  Am I really the only one
that's had to deal with long author lists?  That's really hard for me to
believe in this day and age.

jamie.