Re: how to deal with bibtex with long fields

On Tue, August 31, 2010 11:19 am, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> Hello, Debian scientists.  I've been running into an extremely annoying
> problem where bibtex chokes on fields that are too long, with some
> incredibly stupid limit like 10000 characters.  However, I work for a
> large collaboration where the author list invariably exceeds this limit.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this problem?
> Manually editing fields down to a passable length is not acceptable, for
> a variety of reason, such as it's just stupid, and because I'm trying to
> keep my bibtex synced to online databases which output the full bibtex
> with full author list, and I want to be able to search the full fields.
>
> Any suggestions?  There must be some next-gen version of bibtex out
> there that doesn't have limits from the 80's, right?

Jamie,

Have you seen the BibTex FAQ? See question 37 in the FAQ
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCUQFjAD&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.tex.ac.uk%2Ftex-archive%2Fbiblio%2Fbibtex%2Fcontrib%2Fdoc%2FbtxFAQ.pdf&rct=j&q=bibtex%20field%20too%20long&ei=AFp9TPrDF8mmnAel4N2dCw&usg=AFQjCNEKPH3GMSeHXI5ewvX-SqbT6S1MMQ&cad=rja

It sounds like you might be able to solve the problem by changing a
parameter or two in the source and recompiling BibTeX.

Jim