YARP debianization

Dear Debian Scientists,

Paul Fitzpatrick pointed me to the interesting website http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/robotics and I am curious if you are the people that happen to be able to combine Debian maintenance with science, and well robotics in specific.

On the moment I am trying to get YARP sponsored, see http://eris.liralab.it/yarp/ which stands for Yet Another Robot Platform. First, to get that out of the way, it is not written by me, I am only the packager. IMHO the YA in YARP is quite modest, because I don't know any other type of software that does this. It makes it possible to make a clear separation between real and simulated robot device drivers and higher level of controllers. The benefit above Player/Stage is the network-oriented approach. It is very easy to reconfigure the channels between robot software modules. It is built on top of ACE, already in Debian and has no other prerequisites.

Links:
Motivation: If anyone is interested in sponsoring, please tell me. My plans with it are straightforward. When it's in the repositories I would like to follow-up with a real open-source 3D simulator. One in which 3D is not added as an afterthought, but is inherently part of the design. Regarding this simulator:
Delta3D: Robot3D needs Delta3D http://www.delta3d.org for which James Goppert also searches mentoring. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/452281 and http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-mentors@lists.debian.org/msg69574.html There are some issues with Open-DIS. So, that will take a while. I've opened an ITP bug, it's not online yet. I just wanted to add this information to this email, so you know YARP is not the only requirement for this robot simulator.

Kind regards,

Anne