Re: packaging jmol, was Re: I want to contribute

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Alex John <alexphiliposejohn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Alex and I'd like to help package jmol if anyone is willing to introduce
> me to the procedure (first time with packaging).

If you google for "debian packaging tutorial", you will find plenty of
material. E.g.:

http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Rolling_your_own_Debian_packages_part_2

And, of course the Maintainers Guide is the primary source of information:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

Once you have crafted your debian/ folder with all files, and it is
Lintian error free, it is time to ask for a 'sponsor'... make sure to
discuss you efforts as soon as possible, and preferably share the
files of your debian/ folder publically, such as the debian-science
SVN...:

http://svn.debian.org/

Browse any section for examples:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debian-science/

Because Jmol is written in Java, you should also have a look at some
debian/ folders for other Java software:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java

and check the Debian Java wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/Java

I'll be available for Jmol building questions, but do not have time to
make a package for it...

Egon

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg