Re: what about acroread in squeeze i386?

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 09:08 +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>> Unfortunately, for dealing with most editors of scientific journals,
>> and for personal use of the scientific literature, either as author or
>> referee, neither the readers you mention, nor any one other I know
>> except acroread,  are enough. Because of these problems (which are not
>> unique to acroread), most my colleagues have turned to either
>> Microsoft or Apple for the desktop. I intend to stick to Debian also
>> for the desktop, but such affairs are wasting our time. We can not
>> devote more time to have acroread running than for a scientific code.
>> At present, the second task has become easier that the trivial affair
>> of having office tools running.
>

> Umm... what exactly is wrong with xpdf?  I use it routinely, authoring
> and refereeing. I find it light and fast.  evince works too, though I
> find xpdf faster.  I do not understand your problem.

xpdf will disappear  soon because of the usual 'security' issues...
Unfortunately it was much faster and at least for me did render
correctly pdf files.

See this evince bug (regression from xpdf):

But at least for me I can use acroread on a daily basis on my amd64
box (thanks to debian-multimedia)

2cts
--
Mathieu