Re: MPICH2 packaging

On 16 June 2009 at 16:28, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
| On 16/06/09 at 09:24 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| > |

[ I do now, thanks to a bounce analyser at @enhanced.com / @intech.com --
camm@maguirefamily.org it is and this time I made sure I wrote it down in ~/.bbdb ]

| > | This raises an interesting question: if we package mpich2, couldn't we
| > | drop mpich(1) and LAM from Debian? Are there cases where it's more
| > | interesting to use mpich v1 or LAM than mpich2 or OpenMPI?
| >
| > As a former Open MPI co-maintainer:  yes, LAM is to be deprecated one day as
| > Open MPI is actively developed whereas LAM is dead. On the other hand, Open
| > MPI is available on only a subset of architectures. It's tricky.
| >
| > That said, getting good MPICH2 in would be super too!
|
| Would you want to co-maintain it?

I already offered Pavan my help, but I would at this point prefer to keep
this informal.  I have >> 100 packages and simply not that much capacity
left.  Plus, my own MPI needs are (at least for now) fulfilled by Rmpi using
Open MPI.

Dirk