Re: MPICH2 packaging

| > Thank you for the inquiry.  I've somewhat left MPICH for now (focusing
| > on OpenMPI, which I don't maintain but use), and assigned its
| > maintenance to the Debian Scientific Computing team.  But I think there
| > are others very interested in MPICH2, and am copying the debian-science
| > list to gauge interest.
| | (Adding Camm Maguire, the LAM maintainer as Cc)

That address has been out of commission for a while; Camm used to work there
but AFAIK no longer does.  I don't have the replacement address handy though.

Got a bounced email from Camm's address. Cc'ing the newer one.

| This raises an interesting question: if we package mpich2, couldn't we
| drop mpich(1) and LAM from Debian? Are there cases where it's more
| interesting to use mpich v1 or LAM than mpich2 or OpenMPI?

As a former Open MPI co-maintainer:  yes, LAM is to be deprecated one day as
Open MPI is actively developed whereas LAM is dead. On the other hand, Open
MPI is available on only a subset of architectures. It's tricky.

That said, getting good MPICH2 in would be super too!

MPICH2 has all features that MPICH-1 has (and more), except for heterogeneity support (using it across different architectures simultaneously). Though not many (any?) people use that feature, if it's not too much work it is still useful to have it in there.

Another important issue is that I noticed several packages that are integrated with MPICH-1 in the Debian packages list (scalapack-mpich, etc.). So, they might break if we drop out MPICH-1, though it should be fairly trivial to get them to use MPICH-2.

In any case, I think the easiest thing to do will be to add in MPICH-2, encourage everyone to migrate from MPICH-1 to MPICH-2, and eventually drop out MPICH-1 after a few years.

 -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji