Re: ITP: mmass a Python-based mass spectrometry tool for proteomics

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephan Boettcher wrote:

IMHO the user is not interested in what programming language a tool
is written in

That assumption may not hold for all users, especially in science, where
a lot of users are programmers, and where 'use' may involve programming.

This "and where 'use' may involve programming" is the key point to understand
my mail. *If* this is the case - and most probably the ITPer can decide
it - than mentioning the programming language makes sense.  As I said
for libraries it is probably reasonable to add the language.  But the
description just gives no hint that programming is involved so I just
insist that the programming language is irrelevant.  (Note: I'm actually
working in a scientific environment and know a lot of "not so computer
adictive people" who are really bored by giving information on *prominent*
places (as the short description is; I would have no problems in mentioning
in a last paragraph of the long description) in what language an application
is coded.  We should try to look *from the other side* of the programming
chain to understand this.

Apart from that, I tend consider the programming language when chosing a
tool.

You should not push your personal habit into short descriptions

Well, I use TeX because I do not like kword which is written in C++
which I'm not very good in.  We should mention this in the description,
right?  (Sorry for the drastic example ...)