About the Instant Grid Project (it was Re: Grid tasks)

2009/3/10 Steffen Moeller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de>:
> Leandro Doctors wrote:
>> There is an independent Debain-based distro (Instant Grid[0]) that
>> packages many grid tools.
> I once burned it, but understood it as a "grid client or job executor generator" for
> single computers. Wrong?
It's designed to be a demo tool (and I used it to evaluate alternative
implementation tools for my thesis project[1], although I ended up
using Condor[2]). However, I think it is perfectly suitable for a
"home-made grid", both for computing and non-computing tasks. It has
very interesting tools...

> It is a long time ago that I had a look. The globus packages coming to Debian are superior
> to anything else since the maintainer did some amazing work to get Globus less redundant
> with  today's Linux distributions. Those patches have been forwarded and accepted by
> upstream, so the Goettingen folks from Instant Grid will certainly profit from it (or are
> already if using 4.0.7, 4.0.8 or 4.2.x). However, anybody with contacts to that group,
> please stimulate them to embrace the Debian community to bring their developments
> (extensions to Knoppix) to the masses.
I'm CCing this message to Christian Boheme (member of the IG project),
just in case he or someone from his team feels interested.

I personally tried to package it once, (and even applied for doing it
through the Google Summer of Code 2008 program[3]), but I didn't.
Perhaps because I was a little afraid of the potential complexity of
the task. (It was aware of it after communicating with members of both
projects, IG and Globus).

I think that, if it's not a one-man project, I'd be a little more
interested in accomplishing it (I've heard that, although some people
might disagree, we geeks are social animals too, he he). Besides, this
could be the final excuse for starting the New Maintainer Process...

>> [0]: Instant Grid: http://instant-grid.de
[1] "Grid Technology for Highly Intensive Computing at the FCEFyN -
UNSJ" (In Spanish)
http://leandrodoctors.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/tesis-grid_calculo_intensivo-leandro_doctors.pdf
[2] The Condor Project: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
[3] My Globus GSoC Application: