Re: Newbie presentation and slashdot thread

André Isidoro Fernandes Esteves <aife@netvisao.pt> writes:

> Hi!
>
> My name is André Esteves and i live in Portugal. Been lurking your mal and
> trying to get some courage to help you somewhere...

Welcome to debian-science. I'd encourage you (and anyone else lurking)
to get involved. It is a friendly group - and there are lots of things
that would be nice to do if only there were a volunteer to do them.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience has a list of suggestions for how
you might be able to help - but it is by no means a complete list.

> In the meantime, may i ask for your attention to this slashdot thred:
>
> " Open Source Software For Experimental Physics?"
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/30/1443203&from=rss

Many of the packages mentioned are in the discussion are available in
Debian. Some are not though, and there is some interesting discussion
of data acquisition.

> Two interesting open source projects surfaced:
>
> - EPICS:

An unofficial package of epics is available.

http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/dataacquisition.html
and http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/DataAcquisition
provide links to it.

It isn't a package I personally use - but clearly it would be nice if
an official package existed.

> - RTEMS
>
> RTEMS is the Real-Time Operating System for Multiprocessor Systems. It is a

This isn't packaged for Debian AFAICT.

Chris