Re: Package categories

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 05:46:23PM +0100, chrisw wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 04:30:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Chris Walker wrote:
> >
> > >For example http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/physics.php lists
> > >packages to do Finite element analysis, optical simulation, xray
> > >absorption spectroscopy, ab inito quantum mechanics and computer algebra.
> > >
> > >I propose to post to this list or the wiki a list of potential
> > >subcategories along with packages that would go in them, and see wheres
> > >we go from there.

And here it is.
== Overview ==

I find that categorising packages into just physics/chemistry/maths is
not quite granular enough. It would be nice to have better granularity
- and I think that debtags is probably the way to go here. What do
other people think?

The debtags available don't seem to have quite enough granularity -
but perhaps I've missed something - so I've knocked up a very
incomplete list of sections that packages might drop into.

Nb all the packages here have been packaged for debian.

I guess the main thing I'm aiming for is some discussion of whether
there is need for addition package tags, or perhaps I've missed something.

Comments?

== Physics ==
field::physics

=== Finite Element Analysis ===
proposed -- field::physics:fea
 (it isn't clear to me that this should be in physics rather than engineering, so maybe field::fea would be better)

Exotk
Code_Aster
OpenFoam
OpenFLOWer
Salome

=== Diffraction/crystal structure solution ===

(all the below are listed as having unofficial packages by Carlo Segre).
mpr peak fitting and x-ray diffraction data viewer
expgui GUI for GSAS (OK for Debian but GSAS isn't)
fox crystal structure solution
mcmaille x-ray structure solution
tpf x-ray profile refinement
xgen macromolecular crystallography

=== Particle Physics ===
CERNLIB

== Chemistry ===
field::chemistry

=== Structure calculation ===

==== Abinitio  ====
(should DFT be listed separately here?

Abinit (currently under physics)
MPQC
psi

==== Semi Empirical ====
mopac

=== Molecular graphics ===
Bkchem
rasmol
pymol
Gabedit (possibly also referenced in abinitio)
Chemtool
garlic
gchempaint
grcystal