Re: Package categories

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Chris Walker wrote:

For example http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/physics.php lists
packages to do Finite element analysis, optical simulation, xray
absorption spectroscopy, ab inito quantum mechanics and computer algebra.

I propose to post to this list or the wiki a list of potential
subcategories along with packages that would go in them, and see wheres
we go from there.

The current technique to build these pages is not able to create subcategories
and there is no plan to add this feature for reasons given below.  I would
not recommend using a wiki for the categorisation - other CDDs had the
experience that these wikis become unmaintained and outdated very quickly.

PS I think that http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/physics.php
is nice, but a denser format would also be useful - more like the
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience (but again with better
subcategories).

I perfectly agree that physical packages deserve a better categorisation.
DebTags is great and should definitely be used - just go for a tagging
of these packages.

The reason why we do not have a better categorisation is that we started
Debian Science CDD for those sciences that did not yet have enough man power
to maintain an own CDD.  I would really love to see a Debian Physics CDD.
Would you volunteer to care for this?

My suggestion would be to start with creating tasks files builded according
to the known sheme and move them to the cdd/projects space.  Then we could
build physics specific pages easily and will see whether this idea attracts
enough people to work on a self-contained CDD.  Just ask if you need any
help.