Re: Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

Hi Charles,

thanks for your feedback!

Am Mittwoch, den 28.05.2008, 09:47 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
>  - Why is 'Priority: extra' preferred over optional? What are the
>    expected benefits?

This is one of the things I thought to be "common practice" in several
team. I never really got the need for differing between "extra" and
"optional", so I can't argue about them. I would also be fine with
setting all to "optional".

>  - It could be useful to request that the fields in debian/control are
>    always used in the same order, to help repository-wide changes.

I do not have strong feelings about that.

>  - The match order in the machine-readable copyright format has been
>    reversed compared to the original proposal. Therefore, your example
>    is slightly outdated.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was not aware of that! I also found a
problem in an other example, so I'll update those.

>  - For the license of the packaging work, I recommend to require that
>    its license is not more restrictive than the original source, so that
>    patches do not cause problems when forwarded upstream.

I think this makes perfect sense. I is what I intended with the wording
but it was not clear. As you pointed out in the thread, GPL patches
"contaminate" a BSD upstream. This should indeed be avoided.

> > 1. What license should we use for the document?
>
> Unless you have concerns that the document can be forked and
> close-sourced, using GPL is probably too much and will open the
> possibility of arguments at the GPLv4 transition :)

I'm fine with it not being GPL. I think that very few people will be
interested in forking it anyway. PD or some free CC would be fine with
me.

Best regards
Manuel