Re: Debian-science: synthesis about VCS & repository structure

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

I'm not quite sure if documentation about how to use tools should be in
a policy-like document.

Right.  Even if some SVN / Quilt usage is in the Debian Med policy I
admit that this is not really a typical content for a policy.  So I
do not care whether the document that describes the usage of GIT is
called "policy" or "Tips for git newbees" or "What you always wanted to
ask about git ..." - as long as there is a simple step by step introduction
I could use.

But I also think that having in a second document may not be optimal too.

This was catually the reason for including the stuff in the Debian Med
policy - it was just a pragmatical decision which finally goes farther
than a policy usually does.

So I'd propose to add those description
to the appendix, so it stays in the policy document and can be accessed
by those interested. Or should we create an "Debian Science Maintainer's
Guide"? (I'm not very creative in inventing names, I hope it's clear
what I mean.)

It's perfectly clear what you mean and both suggestions are perfectly
valid in my eyes.