Re: Debian-science: synthesis about VCS & repository structure

Am Montag, den 19.05.2008, 12:20 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> This [Git being Debian's favorite VCS] could be supported by a well
> written policy that contains step by step examples which might be a
> good help for newcommers.  If this is done I see using git more as a
> chance to learn something new and valuable for my day to day work than
> a nuisance to follow the habits of some geeks.  So I havily relay on
> a really good documentation what to do.

I started working on this document which hopefully will grow to a group
policy by the help of others. It's not much yet but I plan to make it
accessible soon (during the next two days) so everyone can participate;
I just wanted to start it because I think with an existing frame
everyone can be more productive; I do not want to dictate it and hope I
can find some more people willing to write documentation. (It sucks at
times, I know.)

I'm not quite sure if documentation about how to use tools should be in
a policy-like document. But I also think that having in a second
document may not be optimal too. So I'd propose to add those description
to the appendix, so it stays in the policy document and can be accessed
by those interested. Or should we create an "Debian Science Maintainer's
Guide"? (I'm not very creative in inventing names, I hope it's clear
what I mean.)

Best regards
Manuel