Re: Debian-science: synthesis about VCS & repository structure

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:13:18AM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> VCS
> ---
> Keeping two repositories will be confusing, harder to maintain and a bit
> non-sense.
> Since nobody complained about git choice, I proposed that git becomes
> the only VCS that debian-science uses.

Wait a minute.  What's wrong with using svn for those who want to?
I have some packages that I'd like to put into debian-science at some
point, but I'm not about to learn the favourite vcs of the week to
do so.

> Repository structure
> --------------------
> Since there are many concerns about the "category structure" and the
> structure proposed by Manuel [1] seems a good one:
>
> -- debian science
>    +-- homepage => the website of Debian-science
>    +-- packages => packages
>         +-- bar
>         +-- foo
>    +-- policy => documents describing the debian-science
>    +-- taskss => Package "work in progress"
>    +-- ...
>
> At the moment, there is no need to split packages by letter, it will
> only create a feeling of emptiness. But when we will reach ~ 100
> packages (and I am sure we will), we could reconsider this.

I'm not sure why you'd want to split it even with 100 packages.  It
would be a bit of a nuisance working out the URL to use.  The
splitting is done in the debian archive, as I understand it, really as
a hack around inefficient directory lookup.  But the archive would
have thousands of entries, not hundreds.

-Steve