Re: debian-science repository structure

I suppose to me it makes sense to lay out packages in the repositories
according to whatever makes the most sense from a maintanence
perspective.  On other teams, I think this means having all packages
at the same nesting level and in the same directory usually.  I don't
see how having the package categorization represented as directory
structure in the repository helps maintanence and it seems somewhat
complicated compared to the less hard to understand 'decorator'
pattern whereby we keep some separate text file (like overrides) that
lists the category assignment for each package for each purpose.  I
think using this file we can generate the hierarchical view (perhaps
even as a set of automatic git checkouts or whatever) for anybody who
might benefit from it without imposing it on everybody
unconditionally.  This leaves the possibility open to have different
categorizations applied later without interference.  Therefore I think
the simplest would be to say that all packages in Debian science go in
the standard spot unless they have strange maintenance needs.  Best
regards,

Rudi