Re: debian-science repository structure

yn Sun, 18 May 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

Since we do not know if we will move to one repository or keep both running
forever, I'd prefer to have the same repository layout in both VCSs.
Yep, I agree with you. It is a work in progress.

I would even go one step further: We should move the current SVN to a
well structured git.  (I never used git before but I guess my lazyness
would let me stick to SVN for ever if I would have no strong reason to
start with git - so just force me to learn it. ;-))

while working at a package at the moment I was not able to decide where to
put it: physics or chemisty? It would fit into both tasks perfectly.
I think it doesn't really matter if we have problems to categorize a
package from time to time.

Well, there are definitely cases where a package perfectly fits into
two categories.  This is no problem for the meta packages (just list the
package in both) but in the VCS it is.  I admit I have no really good
idea whether this can be resolved in the category based VCS layout.
If there is such a thing like "symlinks" in GIT that you put a package
under one category and then symlink from the other it might be possible -
but I don't know whether it is really good.

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/cdd/projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks/?rev=0&sc=0
[2] I already started to work on that but it's not uploaded yet. I'll announce
it as soon as it's something readable.
Can I participate on this ?

Sure.  You just became a member of cdd alioth team.  Feel free to edit the
tasks files or whatever you might like to change.  Just ask if anything remains
unclear.