Re: RFC: wnpp bugs tagging

Alle 08:47, mer 12 marzo 2008, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Luca Brivio wrote:
> >> I'd strongly vote for using debian-science list as the user because
> >> IMHO we need a specific group of Debian maintainers who care about this
> >> specific topic and this brings things in focus on the right list.
> >> You might have a look at the CDD documentation how to ITP[1].
> >
> > Well, you can guess my purpose is slightly different, say Debian-wide, as
> > tags I've listed show.
>
> Yes, but you was posting to debian-science list and because I assumed
> you did this on purpose instead of posting to debian-devel I gave a comment
> from my debian-science perspective.

You're right, in fact I thought we could use just one user (so it would have
replaced debian-science@lists.debian.org), now I agree with you.

> I just learned that RFPs are most promising if you try to reach people
> who have a direct interest in the topic of the package.  So if I would
> like to RFP a game I would foreward this to a games related mailing list,
> if the package is about science I try to inform debian-science and
> if it is about medicine/biology I try to involve people reading debian-med
> mailing list.  It is a question of pushing the information to a place
> where it might be relevant.  If you think the package is relevant on
> more than one mailing list, keep both CCed.

Yeah, I'm been doing this with a few RFPs, this is a best practise for me. Of
course there are two problems:
1) Many interested persons aren't subscribed to (all) the relevant mailing
lists (think of new maintainers, and so on).
2) Sometimes there's no really relevant place!
Anyway those problems don't change so much items we're discussing about. :)

> > I'm not sure the latter couldn't be the case. For instance, I might help
> > with tags, when I'm not really too busy. Of course we'd need an easy way
> > to track ITPs and RFPs.
>
> Hmmm, perhaps I missed the point in your original mail, but I thought
> qour intention would be tagging the ITP/RFP bugs.

It is indeed (together with set lists of tags, perhaps policies, etc.).
There's just a difference between people each tagging their own bugs and me
tagging those left untagged by others. :-)

> > Until now, I've been adding software to DebianScience* wiki pages, like
> > Charles often did.
>
> If I understood Charles right he just used the Wiki because it was
> much easier to keep up to date than the wml in Debian web CVS.  Since
> there is a chance to auto generate up to date pages easily form a single
> source of information (the tasks files) he agreed to use this because
> it seems to me the most efficient way to present all our knowledge
> about software we have and we would like to have.

Alright. So we maybe should let external contributors put data on the wiki and
then remove them once they have been added to tasks. Including a disclaimer
about this in the wiki pages would be really useful! and I can do it myself.

> Well, checking WNPP for ITPs/RFPs that are relevant for debian-science
> sounds simple and at least forewarding this to the list is easy.

Yes, it is!

> > I must learn to use Subversion, too. :-)
>
> Well, a patch is welcome too, but SVN is not that hard to learn.
> (Trust me, I was reluctant myself. ;-) )

Good, 'cause i *must* learn SVN indeed. ;-)

--
Luca