Re: RC bugs in debian-science packages

---------- Forwarded message ----------
[Chris asked me to foreward this copy ...]

Date: 18 Oct 2008 13:15:54 +0100
From: Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Subject: Re: RC bugs in debian-science packages

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Chris Walker wrote:

I discovered that axiom had an RC bug and this prompted me to check
which other science related packages had RC bugs. Looking at
http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php reveals the following science
packages (picked out by hand, so E&OE) that have release critical
bugs:

An update on this.

Axiom: Not yet fixed.
Maxima: Bug had been fixed ages ago - now closed.
r-base-core: A fix had already been uploaded to testing-security. The
             release team are aware of this and working on propogating
             it to testing.
r-base-core-ra: Fix now uploaded to testing-proposed-updates

matplotlib, and texlive have recent uploads that look like they fix RC bugs.

Just a side note to current work in progress about bugs in Debian Pure
Blends (formerly known as CDD).  If you look at

    http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/bugs/mathematics.html

I've used this to check for other packages with RC bugs.

Engineering:
varkon: Removed from testing, and has been orphaned.
netgen: not in testing

Geography:
iceweasel: Several bugs
swfdec-mozilla: FTBFS

Linguistics:
apertium: 500171  FTBFS in ia64

Statistics:
491110  [rkward] Error parsing rkward_welcome.rkh       grave
501649  rkward: BROKEN - UNUSABLE       grave
489473  rkward FTBFS: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

And although it isn't mentioned as a science package, acl2 (maintained
by Camm Maguire) also seems to need some help.

[FREEZE] Package: acl2 (optional; Camm Maguire) [acl2/3.1-1 ; 3.4-1 ; 53/10 days ; hppa(Building);ia64(Building);sparc(Failed)] [add/edit comment]
02-Oct-2008: luk: probably needs tpu upload
494328 [          T] acl2: FTBFS in lenny: Initialization FAILED: acl2-status.txt should contain :INITIALIZED.

So if you care about these packages making it to the next stable
release, please take a look at the bug and see if you can help.

Chris

PS The above pages don't list packages where bugs are fixed in
unstable, but the package is not suitable for testing (perhaps it is a
new upstream release). http://bts.turmzimmer.net/ is unofficial, but
useful for that.