Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:27:13AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> You propose an additional control field for after Lenny release, but my
> gut feeling is that there will be a strong opposition on
> debian-devel@l.d.o, as extra fields make some files such as Packages.gz
> heavier, which is a disadvantage for platforms with limited CPU power,
> that have to parse this file despite not being likely to use this
> feature.

This is only the case if you add a XB-* field, which end up in the
binary package.  XS-* fields end up in the .dsc of the source package,
and X-* field do not end up in either.

It is the latter which I proposed initially, i.e. have the meta-data in
the debian/control of the package, but do not expose it to the .dsc or
.deb packages.

If that might be too hard to parse for web-frontends or users, we could
also just add it to the source package, that should not be an issue for
bandwidth or CPU cycles.  We could then ask packages.d.o or
packages.qa.d.o to expose that info as well, maybe.

Michael