Re: partial checkout in git (was Re: {debian, pkg}-science repository)

Le Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:09:28PM +0200, David Bremner a écrit :
>     Charles> Subversion. So far, the ability to do repository-wide
>     Charles> changes was useful to us, as well as the possibility to
>     Charles> do partial checkouts if needed.
>
> Well, I am most certainly not a git expert. But I guess _part_ of what you
> want can be done with submodules
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.5.5/user-manual.html#submodules

Thank you David for this interesting link.

I still have to assimilate the information as my knowledge of Git is
superficial and my experience with it is null. But it seems that
submodules can do the job. I still have to figure out if it is possible
to add submodules to a superprojet in a way that will automatically make
them propagate during updates.

Another potential use of the submodules would be to mix a git repository
that contains upstream sources with another repository containing the
debian directory…

Have a nice day,

--
Charles