Re: Repository?

Hello

| David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> (2008-05-06 11:23:34) :
| > Speaking as the maintainer of all packages in pkg-science ( all 3 :-)
| > ), I don't mind any sort of merging plan.  But I understood from
| > previous mails from C. Prudhomme that he (and others?) preferred to
| > keep pkg-scicomp a more focussed effort on scientific computation (in
| > the computer science usage of that term).
actually I am from applied math and I work in a laboratory whose themes are
sciences of computing which is pretty broad (ordinary/partial differential
equation, dynamical systems, geometry and images, statistics, ...)
My main interest is to solve PDEs. To do this a broad range of software is
needed (CAD, mesh generation, graph, linear solvers, nonlinear solvers, ode
solvers, visualisation,...). My point of view would then often be given from
the applied math angle.

|   This is what I understood too:
| http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/01/msg00043.html

| >                                            If that is an accurate
| > statement (Christophe?) then using pkg-science as the umbrella group
| > seems to be consistent with the original intent.  It is not completely
| > reasonable to compare the activity in pkg-scicomp and pkg-science
| > since the latter is much younger.
|
|   Christophe, is pkg-scicomp suitable for Andreas plans?
| http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/05/msg00022.html
The layout is different in pkg-scicomp repo: there is no particular
categorisation. I don't mind blitz going in pkg-science. In my mind it
certainly fits better in pkg-scicomp but I understand that other people see
things(repo software, science "categories",..) differently and I am
definitely very happy to see blitz maintained in Debian.

Regarding blitz, I often use blitz and I am quite knowledgeable in the
underlying techniques. Let me know if you need some help.

|   With respect to the packaging policy
| http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/05/msg00029.html (for
| pkg-science or whatever it turns into), for the sake of simplicity, I
| would suggest to adopt and adapt the Debian Med existing policy:
| http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
|
|   Please, people in charge (Christophe, Sylvestre), clarify those
| questions. And as I already stated in
| http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/01/msg00035.html I would
| be happy to join whichever group.
you have been added to pkg-scicomp. Feel free to subscribe to the mailing
lists.

Best regards
C.
--
Debian Developer - http://people.debian.org/~prudhomm/
Scientific computing packages maintainer