Choose between TeXmacs and Auctex

Dear all,

I am an undergraduate major in natural science. I am choosing a scientific paper editor for my remaining lifetime.
Recently I find it hard to decide between TeXmacs and Auctex.
I hope to have some advice from you gurus on the list.

For Auctex,

  1. I live in Emacs, so Auctex is natural. Opening new TeXmacs window
     is a bother.
  2. In Auctex, I can fine tune everything in LaTeX. While in TeXmacs,
     sometimes things go weird and hard to correct.
  3. Auctex is fast, and is able to run on OLPC-XO -- I have the
     potential to use it everywhere. TeXmacs is too slow.

For TeXmacs,

  1. Formula editing is very efficient, I can even carry out my
     deduction lively (and embedding CAS session, e.g. maxima). While
     Auctex, even with preview, edits and prints formula in raw LaTeX.
     It can be a nightmare deducing equations without a pencil on
     Auctex -- and I am forced to interpret my reasoning into LaTeX.
  2. Figure embedding is more friendly. With Auctex, my figure fly up
     and down wildly -- maybe I am not familiar enough with raw LaTeX.

Hmmm. Maybe there should be a way to call a embedded TeXmacs instance fromwithin Auctex just to edit formulae and import figures.

If I am ignorant to some good ways to do things well. Please do point them out.

Thanks in advance.

--
续本达
Xu, Benda

Academic Talent Program on
Fundamental Science of Mathematics and Physics,
Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R.China

http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn:8080/2005012177/index.html
http://thirsty.phys.tsinghua.edu.cn/MyWiki/heroxbd