Re: ROOT in Debian "experimental"

Christian Holm Christensen wrote:
> ROOT 5.15.07 is now available from Debian "experimental".
  [...]
> The packages are in experimental, because they are based on development
> code.  Once ROOT releases the next production version (5.16.00,
> scheduled for June 27) we will build packages of this, and upload these
> to "unstable".   From there, the road to "testing" and eventually
> "stable" is straight forward.
>
> Ubuntu users will probably see ROOT hit their distribution shortly.

That timing is a bit unfortunate for Ubuntu users, because
DebianImportFreeze[0] for Ubuntu's next release (Gutsy Gibbon, 7.10) is
scheduled for June 21[1].
So, Ubuntu users: Don't expect these packages to appear in Ubuntu 7.10
automatically. Nevertheless, we should find out, whether it is possible,
to do a delayed sync for 7.10, once the packages are in unstable. I am
CC'ing the ubuntu science team, who should know about this.
Christian: If not, is it possible to keep your debian-root repository
running til April 2008, when Ubuntu should also have native ROOT packages
synced from Debian?

> This makes ROOT the first major Linux distribution that ships ROOT as
> part of it's package list - beating even Scientific Linux.

Very nice indeed!

Cheers,
Frank

0: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze