ROOT in Debian "experimental"

Hi all,

ROOT 5.15.07 is now available from Debian "experimental".   That means,
that Debian GNU/Linux users can simply add the line

        deb http://ftp.NN.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

(where NN is the country code e.g., us, fi, ch, etc.) to their
"/etc/apt/sources.list", and do

        apt-get update
        apt-get upgrade
        apt-get install root-system

to install ROOT.  The packages integrate into the system, so there's no
need to set the environment variables ROOTSYS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
PATH.

The packages are in experimental, because they are based on development
code.  Once ROOT releases the next production version (5.16.00,
scheduled for June 27) we will build packages of this, and upload these
to "unstable".   From there, the road to "testing" and eventually
"stable" is straight forward.

Ubuntu users will probably see ROOT hit their distribution shortly.

This makes ROOT the first major Linux distribution that ships ROOT as
part of it's package list - beating even Scientific Linux.

I hope you will find this useful in your daily work with ROOT.  Bugs
should be filed using Debians normal bug tracking system.

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |