Re: ROOT in Debian "experimental"

Frank Siegert wrote:
> Christian Holm Christensen wrote:
>
>> ROOT 5.15.07 is now available from Debian "experimental".
>>
>   [...]
>
>> The packages are in experimental, because they are based on development
>> code.  Once ROOT releases the next production version (5.16.00,
>> scheduled for June 27) we will build packages of this, and upload these
>> to "unstable".   From there, the road to "testing" and eventually
>> "stable" is straight forward.
>>
>> Ubuntu users will probably see ROOT hit their distribution shortly.
>>

> That timing is a bit unfortunate for Ubuntu users, because
> DebianImportFreeze[0] for Ubuntu's next release (Gutsy Gibbon, 7.10) is
> scheduled for June 21[1].
> So, Ubuntu users: Don't expect these packages to appear in Ubuntu 7.10
> automatically. Nevertheless, we should find out, whether it is possible,
> to do a delayed sync for 7.10, once the packages are in unstable. I am
> CC'ing the ubuntu science team, who should know about this.
> Christian: If not, is it possible to keep your debian-root repository
> running til April 2008, when Ubuntu should also have native ROOT packages
> synced from Debian?

The most appropriate freeze here is NewPackagesFreezeUniverse, which is
August 30th. It's true that we won't automatically sync after
DebianImportFreeze but all it takes is a sync request (a bug filed) to
let the Ubuntu archive admins know to sync it. It'd be helpful if
somebody gives us a poke again when the ROOT packages hit unstable so we
can file the paperwork. :-)

>> This makes ROOT the first major Linux distribution that ships ROOT as
>> part of it's package list - beating even Scientific Linux.
>>

> Very nice indeed!
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>
> 0: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze
> 1: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyReleaseSchedule

Congrats on this, I know it's been a big deal for a while now.

-Jordan Mantha