Re: Meshlab and Qutemol

On 5/9/07, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:

I just read in the project's webpage that

     Remember that, whenever you use MeshLab in a official/commercial
     project or in any kind of research, you should:

        * Explicitly cite in your work that you have used MeshLab, a tool
          developed with the support of the Epoch NOE,
        * Post a couple of lines in the users' forum describing the
          project where MeshLab was used.

This may be a DFSG issue (fails the desert island test?).

I guess it would depend on whether the "should" above is intended to
be legally binding.  If not, for reasons of clarification it might be
a good idea for upstream to rewrite this text to read something like
the following.

"The authors of MeshLab would appreciate it if, whenever you use
MeshLab in an official/commercial project or in any kind of research,
you would:

[skip bullet points]

However, this is not a legally binding obligation."

If the text *is* meant to be legally binding, then I agree, it sounds
non-DFSG-free.

best regards,