Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

I would like to suggest a meta-package

debian-science-publishing

which would install tex. It could depend on tetex or texlive.

It could also install some other tools that are useful in this context
like pybliographer  or the suggested debian-science-bibliography metapackage

Everyone has  their own taste when it comes to tex editors but it
might be useful for such a package to suggest utilities like

kile, texmacs, texmaker, auctex, vim-latex, lyx,  latex-xft-fonts  etc.

cheers
Kevin

On 2/14/07, Luca Ingianni <luca.i@gmx.net> wrote:
Am Wednesday 14 February 2007 03:51 schrieb Michael Gilbert:

> i think all the science metapackages should depend on tex (and
> associated packages) because it is useful in all scientific fields.

I disagree. While Tex is indeed very useful, the choice of tools should
clearly be left to the user. At most a recommendation.

> also, i think the other fields should depend on mathematics.

Again, only if truly necessary. If someone wants math, they can select it
for themselves.

Have fun,
Luca