Re: gnudatalanguage

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:33:09PM +0100, aetherlux wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I opened the ITP for gnudatalanguage about two years ago. First of all, I apologi
> ze for the delay. I have not had time, knowledge or dedication to build a package
> . Moreover I found problems with libraries don't packaged.
> A few months ago, my sponsor Ricardo Javier Cárdenes Medina «Heimy» built a pa
> ckage.
>
> A few days ago Sergio Gelato reported that he had built the files needed to packa
> ge gnudatalanguage.
>
> A few months ago somebody requested me the package built by Heimy, it was to be u
> sed in the Max-Planck Institute. Heimy has used his
> package for his own purpouses in the IAC (Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias).
>
> afaik, the versions built by Sergio and Heimy has a lack, they don't have save/re
> store support. This feature is available in the last gnudatalanguage version, but
>  it is done through CMSVLIB (by Craig Marqwardt, available from http://cow.physic
> s.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/down/cmsvlib.tar.gz). afaik, this library is not packaged
> for Debian.

I am not a lawyer, but I have my doubts that cmsvlib can be included in
Debian, I would not agree to the IDL EULA without ever having seen it or
without even using IDL:

http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/down/LICENSE.RSI

It is probably not even redistributable by Debian ("please obtain permission
before redistributing"), but since cmsvlib just contains a bunch of .pro
files, can't every user, who agrees to the IDL EULA, just install that
package locally if he needs to use save files?

I propose again to handle gnudatalanguage via the pkg-scicomp svn
repository. Sergo agreed that we could use his packaging as a starting
point, and I must say it looks pretty neat, everything is handled by cbds. I
could do the initial commit to the svn, but it would be nice if there was a
co-maintainer. Especially since I don't really use IDL...

Christian