Re: Segmentation fault in XOP on Etch - problem solved!

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Carlo Segre wrote:

I have more information now. The problem is an incompatibilty with DRM/DRI in the xserver. The machine on which XOP works fine does not have a working DRI. When I disable the loading of the dri module in a machine in which XOP was not functioning, it now works, although it spits out some error messages as shown below. It may be that thereis a way to make the program work with DRI enables but I have not figured it out yet.

The actual problem was with the GL libraries in Debian conflicting with the libraries shipped with XOP. When DRI is disabled, the program drops back to non-accelerated operation and this works fine. The fix is to remove the libraries that ship with XOP

xop2.1/idl_6.0/bin/bin.linux.x86/gl_driver.so
xop2.1/idl_6.0/bin/bin.linux.x86/gl_driver.so.6.0

The the program uses the Debian libraries and works fine in accelerated mode! Once I knew that there was a problem with DRI causing the segmentation fault, I was able to find the following thread on the ITT web site.

http://www.ittvis.com/forum/message.asp?fmid=2423

Cheers,

Carlo (who is at _IIT_ not ITT ;-)

--