Re: gnudatalanguage ?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 03:34:07PM +0100, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Please CC: me since I am not subscribed to this list.
>
> I saw some messages dating from January 2006 about a possible
> packaging of GNU Data Language, a GPL'ed IDL replacement
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2006/01/msg00000.html).
>
> I just wanted to know if there is some news about the evolution of the
> process. I am not an IDL user myself, but my wife works with it daily,
> and she would be glad if she could use a version of this at home
> (without having to pay the license !!).
>
> It is quite an intricate package to build for me since I have just
> little experience for this particular task. Does anybody know when a
> version of gnudatalanguage is available in the repositories ? Or maybe
> does anyone have packages for this software to share ?

I did build a gdl-0.9.0pre package for amd64, I also have the source for
pre2 there, but no packages, not sure why, maybe it did not build. The
packaging itself was very straightforward, I just used dh_make. For a
releaseworthy package, some more work would have to be done. I just built it
for myself to see if it actually works, and it does start,  I tried some
simple commands. But since I don't use IDL myself, I didn't really know what
to do with it. Maybe this package could also be handled via the debian-science
svn?

Christian