Re: Couple of naive questions

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@yahoo.com> writes:

> My first (naive) question is: am I too much ahead  (in
> publishing tools) or are the editors in organic
> chemistry so much behind (in publishing tools)?

Their use of DOC and yours of OpenOffice are certainly ahead time-wise
but are both far behind tech- and ease-of-use-wise (imo).

> At any event, my second (naive) question is: what
> about editors in other areas?

In High Energy Physics, LaTeX for the document and EPS (which provides
for bitmapped and JPEG images as well) for figures is, thankfully, the
standard.  At least for scientific publications and preprints.
Brushing up with the Gov't or the admin side of the house typically
involves de-evolving to DOCs.

The best laugh I get is receiving an email attachement of a multi
MByte screen shot of a Word window in BMP format showing a paragraph
of plain text.

Back to work,
-Brett.