Re: Simulation software package maintainer is xmds, version 1.5-3

Christian,

Argh! Just took a look at the configure.in file.  The problem is the
lines

        dnl Is this a user installation?
        AC_ARG_WITH([user],
                    [  --with-user              Install XMDS into user's bin directory],
                    [bindir="$HOME"/bin
                    includedir="$HOME"/bin
                    libdir="$HOME"/bin
                    mandir="$HOME"/man
                    USER_LIB="$HOME"/bin
                    USER_INCLUDE="$HOME"/bin
                    echo "XMDS will be installed into $bindir"],
                    [USER_INCLUDE="."
                    USER_LIB="."])

        dnl Just in case --prefix is used, handle the possibility
        if test "$prefix" != "NONE"
        then
                USER_INCLUDE="$prefix"
                USER_LIB="$prefix"
                bindir="$prefix"
                includedir="$prefix"
                libdir="$prefix"
                mandir="$prefix"
        fi

Who ever did that should be shot :-)  It's really _really_ ugly.  The
intention is, that if you want to install this package as a
non-privileged user, you should end up with everything in one directory
- that's bad.   Remove the lines above, and it should work correctly.

You can shoot me for the first part, but for the if(), I think someone
else should be against the wall :-)  I know it's really ugly, and it's
in need of a rewrite.  It would be great to get some general pointers
as to how to improve the script; this was my first autoconf script
when I wrote the base of it, and I believe it's merely been hacked on
since by people who don't know better (and that's not their fault).  I
haven't looked at the script in a couple of years.

Would you like us to fix the script up and rerelease before you guys
package it?  Or do you want to make some workarounds, get it packaged
up, and then we can fix things for the next time around?

I'm very appreciative to all of the input people have been putting
into this recently!

Paul