Re: Simulation software package maintainer is xmds, version 1.5-3

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 03:50:40PM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> > I built a package with dh_make, but encountered a few problems with
> > configure and make install. If you solved that already, great, got for it,
> > I wouldn't mind looking at your package.
>
> Besides the mentioned fftw2-dev/fftw3-dev problem, everything went okay
> here.  I did not yet get to "make install", though.

I tried only briefly with cdbs, but I don't know how to change configure
options with it. So I went back to the simple debhelper/binary package,
where I can edit the rules a little more:

        ./configure \
        --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) \
        --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info \
        --bindir=\$${prefix}/bin --libdir=\$${prefix}/lib \
        --includedir=\$${prefix}/include \
        CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"

make install installs everything directly in /usr and not in the respective
subdirectories. I could move things around in the rules, but I think it
should be fixed upstream. Alas, I am not an autotools expert...

> A new Alioth project just for xmds is probably an overkill.  We might add it
> to the existent pkg-scicomp group.  I am Cc:ing this message to Christophe
> Prud'homme, the admin of the group.  I think he will not object to it.

Fine with me.

> > Then people could add the different postprocessors for octave, R, ... some
> > of the examples work and I can read in the matlab files in octave, but the
> > data needs a little processing to generate the nice plots on the webpage.
>
> I think it is better to contribute this upstream, so that the improvements
> will not be restricted to Debian.

One example that compiles fine is vibrate. I can read in the matlab file in
octave, what is the magic to create a 3d plot as on the examples webpage?

Christian